Posted to alt.home.repair
Guv Bob Guv Bob is offline

Default Overhead power for a workbench?

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message ...
A few decades back, a UK-published book on workrooms and workbenches
showed overhead track not just for lighting but for short drop-down
extension power cords as well. Whether any such system was ever
available in the USA -- and whether it is even still available in the UK
-- I have no idea. I certainly can't find any such thing now in the USA.

But, leaving aside the "track" aspect, is there any modestly priced and
NEC-compliant way of having power outlets conveniently situated above a
free-standing workbench -- preferably retractable?

I did buy a 6-outlet power strip with a piece that allows it to be hung
on a nail or hook, but the label on the back (nowhere on the box) says
it should not be used or even plugged in while hanging on a hook. I had
thought it would be just the thing to hang from the ceiling (where there
are power outlets for a garage door opener, etc.) by a bungee cord or
spring.

Suggestions?

Perce

I generally check www.grainger.com first for these kind of things.

In my case, I just throw an extension cord over the rafters and then put it away when I'm finished. Never need it in the same place for more than a few hours.