Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Axles and tires for power wheelchair

On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 17:36:37 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Robert Green wrote:
"Tekkie®" wrote in message
Robert Green posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

I've got a scooter that has a 11/16" keyed axle but most
replacement wheels I can find on Ebay have a 13/16" hole. I seem
to recall from machine shop in 1969 that a motor shaft can be
fitting with a slip-on "collar" (not sure of the right word) that
would add to the diameter of the shaft/axle and make the
wheel/pulley with the larger opening fit more snuggly.

The key in the axle is the problem. I suppose a machine shop could
make a bushing with key-ways in it but economical feasible IDK.

I've seen the item I am looking for. It's a springy tube with a
channel cut down the entire center so that it clips onto the
undersized axle/shaft. The channel gives the tube the ability to be
undersized enough so that spreading the channel open slightly when
installed makes it stay on pretty tightly. The channel also serves to
allow keyways and setscrews to do their job. In fact, without the
keyways/set screws, the add-on tube would just freewheel.

Now I just need a name/source for the slotted tube I am describing.
We used to use them in machine shop when mounting pulleys on a shaft
that was too small to mount it securely. In 1969. (-:

It's called a bushing .

But what's wrong with finding the right wheel? The bushings generally
wear quickly when pounded around on a power chair