Posted to alt.home.repair
Retired[_2_] Retired[_2_] is offline

Default Overhead power for a workbench?

On 7/17/14, 2:21 PM, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
A few decades back, a UK-published book on workrooms and workbenches
showed overhead track not just for lighting but for short drop-down
extension power cords as well. Whether any such system was ever
available in the USA -- and whether it is even still available in the
UK -- I have no idea. I certainly can't find any such thing now in the
USA.

But, leaving aside the "track" aspect, is there any modestly priced
and NEC-compliant way of having power outlets conveniently situated
above a free-standing workbench -- preferably retractable?

I did buy a 6-outlet power strip with a piece that allows it to be
hung on a nail or hook, but the label on the back (nowhere on the box)
says it should not be used or even plugged in while hanging on a hook.
I had thought it would be just the thing to hang from the ceiling
(where there are power outlets for a garage door opener, etc.) by a
bungee cord or spring.

Suggestions?

Perce

Take a look at http://www.mcmaster.com/#electrical-cord-reels/=svqlgu

scroll down to see the lightweight style for less than $60