Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Axles and tires for power wheelchair

"Tekkie®" wrote in message
Robert Green posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

I've got a scooter that has a 11/16" keyed axle but most replacement

wheels
I can find on Ebay have a 13/16" hole. I seem to recall from machine

shop
in 1969 that a motor shaft can be fitting with a slip-on "collar" (not

sure
of the right word) that would add to the diameter of the shaft/axle and

make
the wheel/pulley with the larger opening fit more snuggly.

The key in the axle is the problem. I suppose a machine shop could make a
bushing with key-ways in it but economical feasible IDK.

I've seen the item I am looking for. It's a springy tube with a channel cut
down the entire center so that it clips onto the undersized axle/shaft. The
channel gives the tube the ability to be undersized enough so that spreading
the channel open slightly when installed makes it stay on pretty tightly.
The channel also serves to allow keyways and setscrews to do their job. In
fact, without the keyways/set screws, the add-on tube would just freewheel.

Now I just need a name/source for the slotted tube I am describing. We used
to use them in machine shop when mounting pulleys on a shaft that was too
small to mount it securely. In 1969. (-:

--
Bobby G.