Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lube for pillow block sleeve bearing?

On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 12:41:54 -0500, F. George McDuffee
wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 13:57:55 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Our whole-house fan is mounted in a gable wall near the roof peak.
I.e., not readily accessible and irregularly maintained. So, 50 years
after its installation and maybe 30-40 years after its last lube, one of
its bearings seized. It was one of the pillow block bearings holding
the fan shaft. It's a brass or bronze sleeve bearing with oil grooves
in it. The oil in there had been baked solid and immune to various
solvents and to a lye soak. It had to be chipped out with a pick.

Once cleaned out and reassembled, my first choice for its oil refill was
10W. It ran right through! OK - I tried 30W: it, to, ran out. So, the
bearings are either so worn that they aren't going to hold any oil, or
I'm using the wrong oil. They definitely do not seem worn - they slide
on readily, but without any noticeable play.

Are they sintered bronze? Maybe replace them?
http://www.bronzebushings.com/sae-84...-bearings.html
Oil-impregnated from the factory.

I'm inclined to try gear oil, but I thought I'd collect RCM thoughts on
it first.

Try hot water (boiling the pillow block) to see if any more comes out
or off. Then soak the bushing overnight in something like PB Blaster
or kero, blow it out/allow it to dry for a day, and then soak in 30W
or oil, Bob.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ripbooks%2C448

Within that list is "ceramic grease". Has anyone ever used any?
What is it like, and what uses does it have? Sounds heavy-duty.

I have used TriFlow and SuperLube quite a lot over the years. Both are
great. Spray lithium grease is wonderful for reduced access, as it
sprays on liquid, then semi-solidifies in place. I use it on non-
dissasemblable fan motor bearings and automotive window track/gears,
and in sliding door guides and pulleys/wheels.

--
Liberalism is the result of severe pathogens in our society.