Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Frnak McKenney Frnak McKenney is offline

Default Lube for pillow block sleeve bearing?

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 15:23:02 -0400, Ed Huntress wrote:

The Oilite bushings in the burner fan on my furnace dried up around 25 years
ago, and seized. Since the motor is no longer available, and replacing the
bearings would have been a nightmare, I just put one drop of South Bend
plain-bearing spindle oil on each bushing every two months or so.

It runs better than ever. Since then I've gotten in the habit of doing the
same with many other plain bearings.

Hi, Ed.

From the Department of Silly Questions: For my mower and chainsaw I add
something called Sea Foam which seems to de-gunk the fuel line and
carburetor fairly well. Would dripping something like this on an Oilite
bushing help dissolve some of the old-and-hardened oil so it would do its
job again? Or would you need something stronger to do the job?

Frank McKenney
--
...I am convinced that scientists have an obligation to communicate
with the public, people who do not know the difference between an

-- Hal Herzog / Some We Love, Some We Hate, Some We Eat
--
Frank McKenney, McKenney Associates
Richmond, Virginia / (804) 320-4887