Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Help- rotted out wood at base of door jam problem

On 07/17/2014 9:46 AM, DaveT wrote:
On 7/17/2014 8:17 AM, dpb wrote:
On 07/17/2014 8:49 AM, DaveT wrote:

I'm probably going to fill out the remaining void with qwikrete. The
wood is already primered, does there need to be visqueen or something
like that between the wood and qwikrete?

I probably wouldn't bother, but it couldn't hurt I think...

I'm wondering if an impermeable barrier wouldn't stop moisture from
getting -out- of the wood, similar to leaving a small gap at the base of
wood piece to let it move out. I don't see all that much moisture going
from the qwikrete into the wood. I can't remember ever seeing any
barrier used in house framing where 2x4's lay on concrete.

That was basically why I said I probably wouldn't -- as long as there's
not a dam at the bottom to hold I don't think it would really hurt
anything, though, but I don't see that it has much purpose, either.