Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Attic fan dead? (i.e. probably electric motor problem)

On 7/17/2014 8:38 AM, wrote:
Hi,

My attic gable vent fan stopped working and so I went upstairs to find a plastic bag tangled in it.
It's this model:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Fl...PG3X/100088166
I removed the bag, but nothing happened.
I unmounted the fan, took it to the garage, and found that power still gets to the motor, but... it just doesn't do anything. I don't see or smell anything burned. I don't see any fuses. Any ideas of whether/how I can fix?
Thanks

Theodore

I'd check for continuity. Might be as Trader says,
thermal fuse. If the thermal is open, I'd be sure
to replace it, not just jump out. Might save you
from a fire, if the motor over heats the next time.

--
..
Christopher A. Young