Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default First fence post as a bench marker

On Thursday, July 17, 2014 8:40:05 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
Harry K wrote:

On Wednesday, July 16, 2014 10:38:38 AM UTC-7, Terry Coombs wrote:

Harry K wrote:

Thanks for the warning, If you don't know how to set posts in a

line,

I for sure won't be hiring you.

I'm 79 and set my first posts when I was about 8 and been doing it

off and one ever since.

Harry K

Sweet Jesus Harry , READ WHAT I WROTE !

I use a peg at either end of the run to pull the string to

establish my

line . DID YOU GET IT THIS TIME ?

--

Snag

You owe me an apology .

No I don't. You could at least attempt to show how you are setting

your line posts if you haven't set the end posts first. I do not

know of, or seen ANYONE using pegs to set line posts. They set the

end posts, wrap line around one, stretch to the other tightly and

then set the line posts against the string.

I currently have runs of over 300 ft with RR ties set every 9'.

Sigth down the line and all you see is one post.

Harry K

Well goody goody for you . What does it matter if the guide string I'm

using is tied to a peg or a post at either end ? If the string is tight ,

and the posts all touch it on one side , and you plumb them as you set ,

they're gonna be in a straight line - which is the objective isn't it ?

The only difference I see is that using the two end posts avoids the need
to drive two separate pegs, so it's a little less work. On the other hand,
the string separate from the end-posts has the advantage for situations
where you want to see how the fence will run start to finish before choosing
the exact end-point locations.