Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Lube for pillow block sleeve bearing?

"Ian Malcolm" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

"Ian Malcolm" wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

The Oilite bushings in the burner fan on my furnace dried up around
25 years ago, and seized. Since the motor is no longer available, and
replacing the bearings would have been a nightmare, I just put one
drop of South Bend plain-bearing spindle oil on each bushing every
two months or so.

It runs better than ever. Since then I've gotten in the habit of
doing the same with many other plain bearings.

Which is great if the unit is accessable and you dont mind servicing
it twice a year. I've got a Magicook 2500W fan heater from the '50s
that lives on that maintenance program. It pre-dates me and will
probaby out- last me!

snip

I keep saying I'm going to rig up a tube oiler with felt, but I'm too
lazy. So I take off the squirrel-cage fan and use a hypodermic syringe
to get the oil into the bearing.

I'm lucky. The motor shaft and bearing face can be reached through the
rear vent with a bent piece of copper capillary tube. No dismantling
required.

P.S. please snip everyone's sigs (from and including the -- space)
before replying. You have a news reader problem that is messing up the
quoting and that's the simplest wrokaround.

My newsreader problem is that I'm not supposed to be here, and I ditched my
copy of Agent. I thought I'd stop in for one day over the 4th of July
weekend just to see what's going on. Then I got myself trapped. g So I'm
responding with Windows Live Mail, which is a dog for newsgroup messaging,
and I'm making a real mess.

All of which serves to remind me that I have to knock this off and get back
to work. I'm leaving town tomorrow evening, so that will be a good time to
shut it off.

If anyone has something they want to ask or say, I can be reached at FAB
Shop Magazine Direct.

--
Ed Huntress