Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Lube for pillow block sleeve bearing?

"Ian Malcolm" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in
:

The Oilite bushings in the burner fan on my furnace dried up around 25
years ago, and seized. Since the motor is no longer available, and
replacing the bearings would have been a nightmare, I just put one
drop of South Bend plain-bearing spindle oil on each bushing every two
months or so.

It runs better than ever. Since then I've gotten in the habit of doing
the same with many other plain bearings.

--
Ed Huntress

Which is great if the unit is accessable and you dont mind servicing it
twice a year. I've got a Magicook 2500W fan heater from the '50s that
lives on that maintenance program. It pre-dates me and will probaby out-
last me!

However the O.P.'s bearings are in a very awkward and inaccessable
location, hence my recommendation for remote lubrication. The 0.P. has
already stated that light oil wont stay in the bearing. Heavy oil would
be an option but if there are problems with the remote lube system it
would make a big mess and get everywhere. A remote greaser however is
fairly cheap and easy to install and easy to use.

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL

I keep saying I'm going to rig up a tube oiler with felt, but I'm too lazy.
So I take off the squirrel-cage fan and use a hypodermic syringe to get the
oil into the bearing.

--
Ed Huntress