Posted to alt.home.repair
DaveT[_2_] DaveT[_2_] is offline

Default Help- rotted out wood at base of door jam problem

On 7/14/2014 1:55 PM, dpb wrote:
On 07/14/2014 2:16 PM, DaveT wrote:

Where the qwikcrete touches wood, what prep should be done to the wood?

Clean and prime.

--

OK - I cleaned out all the rot wood, replaced it with treated deck wood
that presumably won't rot. I raised the base of the treated wood about

I used exterior primer on all exposed wood, then I used regular
qwikcrete to fill in the existing hole and vertically fill in all open
wood space (the base of the treated wood now lies on about a 1 inch
buildup of qwikcrete - that should stop much wicking).

The photo shows how things look now.

My question is: what to do next? I'm not going to put in any plain trim
and have it rot out again.

Should I encase the whole area using deckwood? Lay on more qwikcrete
vertically up to where the base of the wood trim is now and try to make
it look ok? Or use some flashing to somehow cover the thing up?

I welcome any sensible ideas.

Thanks to everybody for all the help so far.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126231...n/photostream/