Posted to alt.home.repair
harry k harry k is offline

Default First fence post as a bench marker

On Tuesday, July 15, 2014 2:03:16 PM UTC-7, Terry Coombs wrote:
Harry K wrote:

On Tuesday, July 15, 2014 12:32:06 PM UTC-7, Terry Coombs wrote:

Better practice is to set the two end post and then stretch a string.
You're gonna have to restretch the string using those two end posts
anyhow.

Harry K

Why ? If the posts are in a line and plumb , you set the top stringer with

Why? So you can GET THE POSTS IN A STRAIGHT LINE to begin with. End posts, string line, dig holes, set posts USING THE STRING to get them straight in a line.

a level and use it as a guide to cut the posts to height . Don't make more

work than necessary !

Well, duh. Of course but since I never mentioned it...

I do set the first board , then temp an end board to

pull a string to line up my pickets . Harry , I did this kind of work

carpentry/home repair for a living , and managed to learn a few tricks

over the years .

Thanks for the warning, If you don't know how to set posts in a line, I for sure won't be hiring you.

I'm 79 and set my first posts when I was about 8 and been doing it off and one ever since.

Harry K