Frisket

Default anyone know how to diagnose a faulty Choke / Ballast in fluorescent light circuit

"nick" wrote in message
om...
Hi all

I'm hoping somebody knows more about this than I do.

We have a standard fluorescent light that has stopped working.
I have replaced the tube and starter with known working ones and
still light doesnt work.

With the light switch on, I measured 240 volts going into the Choke,
but zero volts coming out of the choke.

From this I assumed the Choke was faulty (is this a correct
assumption)

Very likely.

I then replaced the 40W Choke with a similar thing from an old fitting
called a Ballast hoping this would fix the light.

Same thing, different name

It didnt - although for some unknown reason the light did come on for
about 5 minutes then died after putting the outer light casing back on
for the night????
Now when I switch on, there is a very dim light just at both ends of
the tube.

By the way the ballast I put in is 65W (is this important when the old
unit
was a 40W choke. The light tubes are 40W.)

I am still left wondering if the Choke is faulty, and if it is then
why isnt
the replacement ballast not working. (Yes I did connect it up the same
way)

I think the old choke has probably bitten the dust. Someone else is
doubtless an expert on these things but I always try to replace like for
like when swapping components - 65w is considerably more than 40w - maybe
the 1st firing killed your starter.

Thanks for any help and advice
(Im surprised this isnt more of a common problem - I couldnt find
anyone
experiencing this same problem)

Regards
Nick