Posted to alt.home.repair

Default First fence post as a bench marker

leza wang wrote:
On Tuesday, July 15, 2014 1:28:25 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
leza wang wrote: One side of my house is overlook an Alleway (cars
can drive). I want to build a fence similar to this one (click on
the link below please) http://tinypic.com/r/24n2yja/8 My
house is in similar situation of the picture above (instead of the
green, my house is there). Of course the fence is going to be
build on my property side. I want a protection fence like the one
in the picture because I am afraid in the Winter cars might slip
and hit my house. I started working and dig to install the
Posts. There will be 6-8 post and the distance between them is 6'
feet. My question, should I install the first post (put the gravel
first and then concorete) and then wait to dry and then try to
install pther post so I can use the first one as a bench mark when
I try to make sure they all post are layed on the same level and
the hight are the same. I thought it is good idea to do that. What
do you think Thanks a lot.

I think you should drive a pair of pegs and stretch a string to
establish your line . Use a level to plumb your posts , set 'em a bit
high and cut to height after mounting the top stringer . Cut the tops
at an angle to shed water or they'll rot . And your concrete needs to
be finished slightly above ground and sloped away from the post for
the same reason . -- Snag

Thanks for your reply. Can you please tell me what do you mean by
".. should drive a pair of peges"?

I also want to ask, my post will be 4f high, is it ok to burry 1f
of the post or more (like 1.5 f or 2 f)?

Thanks a lot.

Put a peg in the ground at each end of where you want your fence , and tie a
string tightly between them . THis will establish a straight line to guide
your pole placement . I use 8 foot treated 4x4 posts they're dead cheap -
bury them a *minimum* of 24" deep , depending on the frost line in your area
..
--
Snag
If what I posted is really that hard to understand , you should probably