Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default Slightly off-topic - Hydraulic hose crimping

"Carla Fong" wrote in message
news
Hi all -

I looked for a newsgroup about hydraulics but didn't find one... so here
we are...

We are in the process of repairing a truck mounted hydraulic crane (an old
power company rig that digs holes, sets poles and generally does lots of
stuff).

Yesterday I replaced two of the approximately 3,218 hydraulic hoses on the
rig and paid about $100 for them. Since there will be more hoses to
replace as we get into the project (and we also have a backhoe with aging
hoses that will need some attention in the future) we are considering
getting the tooling to do our own hoses.

The crimping machines seem godawful expensive - and there seem to be two
or three manufacturers (Parker, Weatherhead, Gates, etc.) with apparently
incompatible fittings and crimping dies...

Is tooling up for what we want to do reasonable for the amount of hoses we
will be making or is it more cost effective to run down to the auto parts
and have them made for us as needed?

Anybody do/done this and have any words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance

Don't fix it if it's not broken.

Carla

Pick at random any three letters from the alphabet, put them in any order,
and you will have an acronym designating a federal agency we can do
without. Milton Friedman