Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default non-selective weedkiller

In article , Nightjar
"cpb"@ "insert my surname here@?.? scribeth thus
On 14/07/14 15:49, Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote:
On 14/07/14 15:27, Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote:
On 14/07/2014 12:13, Rick Hughes wrote:
Anybody aware of a good replacement, or do I need to go back to basic
Sodium Chlorate.

Loads of posts on line that Sodium Chlorate has been banned from sale
since 2008 and cannot be used after 10th May 2010 ..

Yet it is on sale on Amazon ?

The EU Directive banned it for use as a 'plant protection product'
(i.e.
weed killer). As the overwhelming use of the chemical was for bleaching
paper, it may well still be available as a commercial chemical, just
not
as a weed killer.

Its being sold as weedkiller

I think the ban was retail only. Not wholesale.

ICBA to look through a dozen EU Directives, 20 Regulations and a huge
number of Decisions to be sure, but AIUI, this is part of a wide range
of measures that are intended to remove substances that are deemed
harmful to the environment from use as weed killers. There should be no
differentiation between retail and wholesale supplies. If there is a
difference, it is likely only to be in timescales.

Chlorate wasn't banned because it was harmful to the 'environment'.

It is classed as harmful to aquatic life, with long lasting effects
(besides being harmful if ingested and as an oxidising agent).

It
was banned because its a fine explosive.

That was dealt with fairly early on in the IRA campaign by the use of
additives and the EU Directive that banned it is only aimed at removing
plant protection products that present hazards to human life or the
environment, which seems to cover just about every effective weed
killer, fumigant and pesticide.

When I were a lad etc, 40 odd years ago, we mixed that with most
anything, sugar, diesel oil and whilst it burnt rapidly it wasn't until
you enclosed it in a container or steel pipe etc it went bang unless
there was something else everyone was using;?..
--
Tony Sayer