Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default paint prep - scrape or burn?

On Monday, July 14, 2014 9:45:57 AM UTC-4, George wrote:
I need to paint the clapboards on our dormers. The paint is oil-base,

~20 years old. After I scrape and sand, I can often still catch an edge

of the scraped area, and pop off another small-ish patch of paint. That

it 'pops' makes me wonder if it's not really well-bonded to the wood.

So, I'm thinking I should get down to bare wood, at least in some areas.

I'd be happy to be talked out of that.

Thanks

I wouldn't take it down to bare wood. I use a Wagner Paint Eater, which
IMO, is awesome. It's like a grinder with a hard version of one of the mesh
nylon things you'd clean pots with. Takes the paint off and doesn't clog.

Then use Peel Bond as a primer. It's thick and helps level out the areas
where you transition from bare to old paint. It won't fill it in completely,
but one or better two coats will even it out a lot and if it's up high,
it will look fine.