Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pre-treat weeds with soapy water before spraying weed killer?

trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, July 14, 2014 7:58:12 AM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
On 7/13/2014 10:52 PM, HomeGuy wrote:

I mix concentrated Ortho Weed B Gon (Plus Grabgrass Control) with
water

according to the label and use a 1-gallon handpump sprayer.

I suppose that it works, but I don't exactly see the spray
"wetting" the

leaves and stems of the stuff I'm spraying. Looks more like most
of it

beads up on the leaves and runs off.

I'm thinking that this stuff would be more effective if it "stuck"

the leaves, and I think that's only going to happen if the surface

tension is reduced, possibly by pre-spraying the weeds with soapy
water,

or alternatively maybe adding soap in with the weed killer and
water.

Does anyone have a clue regarding if the effectiveness of
water-soluble

weed killer is increased if a surface-tension reducing agent is
used?

And just for clarity, Ortho Weed B Gon contains:

2,4-D (Dimethylamine salt)

Quinclorac

Dicamba (dimethlamine salt)

I would assume the mix is formulated for maximum effectiveness and
works

best when directions are followed.

I had a neighbor that had one of these jobs at DuPont and that is
all he

did.

I have a lot of good info on this, but heh, why should I (or anyone
else) help out the jerk who constantly starts one off topic America
bashing thread after another? The more weeds he has in his lawn the
better.

FWIW and for anyone who cares , QUIT KILLING THE BEES ! Just about every one
of those compounds for killing weeds has an effect on our pollinators . Add
in the effects of neonic and other pesticides and you can end up with colony
collapse disorder , where the bees just wander off apparently and die .
It wouldn't take a bomb to bring this country down , just one crop sprayer
full of pesticides at the right time and right place could kill up to 3/4 of
the bees in this country , and without them we'd starve ...
--
Snag