Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred[_8_] fred[_8_] is offline

Default non-selective weedkiller

On Monday, July 14, 2014 12:24:24 PM UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 14/07/14 12:13, Rick Hughes wrote:

On previous landscaping projects after preparing ground .. have given

the area a dusting with a non-selective weed-killer, then laid Geotex

weed membrane on top.

The product I used was Boracil (aka Bromacil).... but this is no longer

on sale.

This was a broad spectrum herbicides for non-selective weed killing, it

entered plants via roots not vis leaves.

Councils used it under tarmac when laying pavements.

Most weed-killers need leaf growth to allow take down to roots .... in

this instance there is no left growth, being used as preventative.

Which would rule out 2,4-D products (and presumably 2,4,5-T)

Anybody aware of a good replacement, or do I need to go back to basic

Sodium Chlorate.

Hard because it was banned a couple of years back. Though some people

may still have a pot kicking about *cough*

Loads of posts on line that Sodium Chlorate has been banned from sale

since 2008 and cannot be used after 10th May 2010 ..

Yet it is on sale on Amazon ?

Nothing on the bottle says Sodium Chlorate. I think they are lying -

it's an alternative. Especially as chlorate was always sold in crystal

form and that item is a solution.

I've been using 'Premazor' as an alternative to Simazine and find it quite good. It can be mixed with Roundup for use as a single application.