Fred Holder

Default Lathe shopping: Opinions on Record CL-3?

Hello Sanaka,

I did not mean to imply that the Nova was a much higher grade machine than the
Record CL-3. What is so impressively different is the 1/2" larger diameter
spindle and the availability of No. 2 Morse Taper. I noticed a significant
increase in the stability of my mounting. I also think the Nova bearings are
better than those use on the CL-3. They are both pretty good lathes and the
Record may suit your needs just fine.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com/

In article , Sanaka says...

Thanks Fred and Peter

I suspected the Nova might be couple notches or so up in quality, but
the price jump is out of my class right now. For ~$2k I can have the
CL3, scroll chuck with a few jaws, stand, tools, and outboard bowl
stuff. Large bowls and such would be very occasional for me.

Peter, at this webpage:

http://www.recordpower-usa.com/Accessories1.htm

there's a photo showing the CWA180 'tubular bowl rest' which is
sitting on a sort of 90 degree extended arm. Is this setup the bowl
turning extension you mention? I.e. I should get the 90 deg. arm and
the tubular bowl rest?

Thanks!

Peace,
Sanaka

(Peter Charles Fagg) wrote in message
.com...
Sanaka, I only have praise for the CL3.

I use it daily in my business and have turned successfully items up to
the maximum of 30 inches, mind you it does get a bit scary! It has
coped very well with out of balance pieces including those where I
have left the shop in a hurry for fear of the thing taking off!
Please buy one with the bowl turning extension you will regret it
later if you don't.

It would be nice if it were fitted with variable speed as standard but
it can be updated with a kit OR purchase the CL4 which is the CL3 with
the kit fitted ex-works.

Go for it you will not be disappointed,

Regards,
Peter Charles Fagg