Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bending Aluminum part II

"Meanie" wrote in message

How accurately circular does the curve need to be? If you adjust
the
legs parallel and correctly spaced by hand the curve will deform.
-jsw

I can give way on the accuracy of the radius but it is pertinent
that the final width of the ends be 14 1/8" apart OD.

I would bend the sides a little beyond parallel and then open them up
with a scissors jack etc by slowly increasing the handle turns,
backing off and measuring the result. If you know that perhaps one
more turn opens the ends by 1/4" you can correct the remaining error
without as much risk of overshoot.

Or if you have a hydraulic press stop before parallel and tweak the
sides inward. Once you are close to final size you can measure and
correct for the springback.

Apply the force close to the ends of the curve or else you will bend
the flat sides.