Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Demolishing garage

It's similar here in NJ. And I agree, a typical homeowner DIY is not
going to get a permit for a lot of stuff. But what you can get away
with is determined by a number of factors

I'm probably not going to get a permit for projects where the permit costs
more than the repair. Fixing sinks, replacing toilets or water heaters,
adding an electrical outlet, etc.

I did reshingle our roof last summer without a permit. I wasn't aware one
was needed at the time. Oops, my bad. In any case, I completely tore off
the old roof and went way above and beyond what basic code requires. I was
doing it to fix a leak and wanted to be darn sure it wasn't going to leak
again.

Generally though, I try to get permits for any major work. But, I'm really
hoping I won't be doing major projects like that any time soon.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com