Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bending Aluminum part II

On Sat, 12 Jul 2014 11:21:56 -0400, Meanie
wrote:

A few weeks ago I asked about bending a 2" wide x 1/4" thick x 3' length
flat stock 6061 aluminum bar into a U shape with a 7" radius. I was
concerned about the bar springing back and thus did an experiment. I
made a die using wood to form my radius.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/18223943@N06/14635585195/ and tested a
piece of 1/8" thick aluminum bar.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...n/photostream/
Though, I realize the 1/8" bar is more resilient than the 1/4", the
concern of springing back presents itself as you can see
https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...n/photostream/

Therefore, what are the possibilities of the 1/4" bar springing back and
what can I do to prevent this? Heat? It's important the bar retains it's
shape after bending.

Thank you

Calculate the springback and overbend, like any metal-worker would do