Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Demolishing garage

It is all repairs - so in many cases a building permit
is not even required.

You would certainly need a building permit here in NJ. When you're
replacing walls, roofs, etc it's not a repair. You need a permit to
re-shingle a roof.

If I remember correctly, here in SW Washington state we need a permit any
time the cost of the work exceeds $1000. I don't know what time frame that
covers. I suppose you could drag it out over time replacing small sections
at a time, but I don't see the point. It's not that hard to get a building
permit, and it's nice to have a second opinion from the inspector to ensure
everything is being built correctly. Work done without a permit could
affect your home owner insurance or the resale value of your home.

The one exception to the $1000 rule is outbuildings under 100 sq/ft can be
built without a permit, assuming all other regulations are followed
(setbacks from property lines, etc.).

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com