Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run?

On Thursday, July 10, 2014 5:36:20 PM UTC-4, Brian Gregory wrote:
On 04/07/2014 15:31, wrote:

On Fri, 04 Jul 2014 04:06:11 -0400, rickman wrote:

On 7/4/2014 12:57 AM, Tim Wescott wrote:

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 22:28:23 -0400, krw wrote:

On Thu, 3 Jul 2014 17:00:16 -0700, "Pico Rico"

wrote:

"RobertMacy" wrote in message

newsp.xif3so2o2cx0wh@ajm...

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 16:29:47 -0700, Pico Rico

wrote:

"RobertMacy" wrote in message

newsp.xif3f3zo2cx0wh@ajm...

...snip...

So my question is WHICH way is this !@#$#@ system designed for? UP

or DOWN air in the summer?

it depends if you have air conditioning.

again which way? for what reason? elaborate?

heat rises. If you have ac, you want to push the warm air down so it

can become ac'd. If you don't have ac, you might as well leave the warm

air up there were it will be less noticed.

But you can cool to a higher temperature if you help the convection off

your skin. Add in evaporative cooling and a breeze is a big win, at

least in small rooms, like a home.

We have air conditioning which keeps the house at 78, and a way

undersized room dehumidifier which we set up in the master shower, turn

on the circulating fan in the furnace, and basically slowly and

inefficiently dry out the whole house.

It makes a huge huge difference how hot it feels -- and we're in Oregon,

where everyone is a humidity wimp.

Do you realize the dehumidifier is just an AC unit where the heat is

exhausted back into the room? You could do the same thing by running a

small space heater which would make the AC run more often which does a

much better job of taking the humidity out of the air. Actually, I've

never seen a house with AC that still had high humidity, but then I'm

not in the Pacific northwest.

If the AC is oversized it is not efficient at removing humidity

because it doesn't run long enough. ANd if it isn't warm enough to

require running the AC, you still have the humidity.

Don't you just turn it up until you get to a combination of

temperature/humidity that feels comfortable?

Stop it right now. You're being entirely too practical....

LOL

That's what I've been doing for decades. And despite all the talk
about the need to remove humidity without lowering temperature, it's
always worked fine for me here in the NYC area. If it's 77 and the
AC hasn't been running, it can get humid. So, I just lower it to 75,
it runs and in 20 mins you can feel the difference and it's comfortable.

I'm sure having a two stage AC, humidity sensors etc could control
it better, but it's not a problem for me.