Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metal advice needed

On Thursday, July 10, 2014 2:35:50 AM UTC, Clare wrote:

Brazing is _soldering_. I normally don't even have the rod in the 'zone'

until the work is hot enough to flow the filler.

LLoyd

The only way to braze PROPERLY even with a gas torch. Heating the rod

with a gas torch can work well in combination with heating the work if

the rod is a bit too large for the job.

I normally braze by heating the parts and when I think the parts are hot enough touching the rod to the work to see if the parts are hot enough to melt the rod.
You get other clues as to how hot the parts are by what the flu is doing. Ecept when tig brazing , there is no flu.

( I spilt beer on the keyboard and now I can not type the letter between w and y in the alphabet.)

When using a tig torch and silicon bronze, it is okay to let the arc touch the rod. When using fuming brass, letting the arc contact the rod, causes the zinc in the rod to vaporize and causes a mess.

Dan