Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default O/T: Bitch Bitch Bitch

On 7/10/2014 11:02 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 08:01:36 -0500, Leon wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote:
wrote:
On Wed, 09 Jul 2014 18:15:12 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 7/9/2014 5:26 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 09 Jul 2014 06:48:54 -0500, Leon

In almost every case I consider the big box stores to be in a far
worse location. I absolutely hate having to navigate and dodge
speeding traffic to get into or out of their prime high volume
traffic locations. I much prefer accessing the mom and pop
location located on a side street and or a much less traveled
major through street. FWIW in the example I mentioned above,
proportionally the mom and pop hardware store has a smaller
percentage of open parking spots than the local Borg. Some times
you have to circle the block to give someone time to leave and
open a spot to park. Like the Borg, the parking lot is probably
bigger than the store

I rather like having a traffic light, rather than have to negotiate
uncontrolled intersections.

I don't know where you are at but in Houston most all of the Borgs
are on a feeder road to a freeway typically not near a traffic
light. You might have a stop sign when leaving the parking lot.

Atlanta (home of Home Depot), but they're pretty much the same
everywhere I've lived. They're close to an interstate interchange
(necessary for the trucks) but there's always a light right by the
store. There's usually other big box stores nearby, for the same
reasons. The only place I've lived where there aren't lights right at
the BORG, they're once removed (at the entrance to a large big box
shopping center).

I have to agree from my own experiences - across the country. If any of the
major retailers are not serviced by some sort of traffic control, that's a
reflection of the local ordinances and not of the retailer. I can't think
of a lot of the majors that are not controled by lights. And... it is
common knowledge that HD and Lowes (or insert other competing name...)
locate near each other, just like McDonalds and Burger King do. That is
simply their location strategy.

In Houston it mat be a lack of zoning thing but none of the Borges are
close enough to an intersection to matter. And for that matter, HD probably
out numbers Lowes man 2 to 1. Well I just counted. 24 Lowes and 43 HD's
in the Houston metro area.

Sure, that ratio is about right, even high. The point was that they
have the same site selection criterion. In fact, I only know of one
Lowes (Essex, VT) that doesn't have a HD within sight.

Come to Houston, LOL, you will find that to not be true. You cannot see
one from the others parking lot. I sure wish that were true here
though. I have 3 HD's withing 6 miles of my home the closest Lowe's is
probably 8 miles away.

I suspect that this, as I mentioned earlier, might be a zoning
situation. In the Houston area there is no zoning so anything can go up
anywhere unless we are talking a master planned community. In other
cities retail establishments have a restriction as to where they can be
located so there are less places to build and would naturally tend to be
located closer to one another.