Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Battery life

On Wed, 9 Jul 2014, Ian Field wrote:

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
"Ian Field" wrote in message ...

Aggressive pulse charging is spectacularly good at curing memory effect in
Ni-Cd cells -- my experiments with Ni-Mh were somewhat less impressive.

Motorola introduced a pulse charger for Honeywell Strobonar
electronic-flash packs back in the '60s. "Modern Photography" hailed it as
a miracle -- it could actually bring near-dead packs back to life, and
significantly increase the capacity of "wilted" packs.

Several years later, I asked Bert Keppler why the product had disappeared.
"Uh... the battery packs blew up too often."

I have a pulse conditioner for Ni-Cd published in the current July/August
summer circuits issue of Elektor.

Its somewhat less aggressive than my original converted AT PSU, but the cells
remain cool throughout the treatment.

I may have noticed that, I can't remember if the summer issue is on the
newsstand here yet. I know I looked at the current issue recently, and
soemthing made me wonder if I "knew" the writer. But I can't remember
what the project was, or if I saw a name I wondered about.

This isn't the first time a denizen of this hierarchy made it into
Elektor. Andre somebody who used to be a regular in sci.electronics.
basics had a simple project, I can't remember what.

Michael