Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Claw Foot Tub

On Wed, 09 Jul 2014 11:25:18 -0400, Dave C wrote:

On Tue, 8 Jul 2014 21:19:33 -0500, "KB"
wrote:

"Dave C" wrote in message
news
I bought a 100+ year old house. It has a Claw Foot tub, which I will
retain. Unfortunatley it has a a few Rust stains, from the drain
chain, near the drain etc.

I have tried many items, to remove those rust stains - Ajax, Gel
Gloss, Soft Scrub.

Can anyone recommend a way, that I can remove the rust stains?

On a tip I used Barkeeper's Friend to remove rust from around a sink drain
and it worked fine. It's a powder sold beside Comet cleanser and Bon-Ami.

Thanks, for all of the propmpt/ excellent advice. I am sure I will
find a solution, from your many suggestions.

As a clarification, the rust stain t hat I want to remove was soley
due to a now failing chain. The tub's interior, is most acceptable (it
is 100+ years old). I now need to find an internet source, for a
replacement overflow cover, chain and drain assembly. Hopefully those
replacements will not likewise rust.

MANY Thanks -dave

I will try the various suggestions, noen of which I had previously
tried.

I just thought of another option, I've seen used on rust in cast iron
skillets. Cut a lemon / lime in half, pour salt on the rust and rub
vigorously with the acidic lemon /lime.