Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metal advice needed

On Tue, 08 Jul 2014 21:48:11 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jul 2014 20:50:45 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jul 2014 06:06:06 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jul 2014 08:27:57 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 07 Jul 2014 20:54:17 -0700, SteveB wrote:

SteveB fired this volley in news:lpf0mm$qdg$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

I love 7014, but to get any kind of a vee in there between the two
parts, I find it difficult to get a good solid weld in a short space. I
end up with slag inclusions, or burnthrough, or just slag. Yes, I will
probably do it with .035" E70-S-6 and 75/25 mixed gas. Gives a nice
appearance, but one must do root preparation, or get a cold lap weld.

Steve, if "pretty" is the goal, braze it.

Easy, fast, and the nicest-looking weldment you'll get between any two
pieces of metal. Plenty strong.

Lloyd

My point was that I personally find it difficult to get things "pretty"
when there is only a short run of metal, or basically a spot to weld,
doing it with a rod.

A friend of mine was an inspector on a job we were doing for Banister
(the Alaska Pipeline people) through the Atchafalaya swamp. I asked
Francis what made a good inspector. He said that the average human can
spot 90% of bad welds just on appearance. After that, it gets internal
and complicated. I have found that if a weld looks "pretty", it's most
likely sound, and done with knowledge and skill.

Although, I have said (and offended some people by saying) that I could
teach a chimpanzee to wirefeed in less than a day.

Steve
I've seen a lot of "pretty" Mig welds that were not worth the scrap
value of the wire used to create them.

Gunner nods his head and still wonders where that tire went.....

ROTFLMAO. I dared not bring that up. Thanks for the laugh. bseg

Larry...I thought you knew me better than that. I admitted it when
it happened. I didnt "not talk about it"

I knew that. Remember, I've brought it up before, too.

I thought others could learn from my ****up. And Yes..I do make an
occasional one. Like welding boat bunkers up and forgetting the ass
end of the boat was hanging from an engine hoist and not forming the
curve in the bunker....sigh

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...68989920415378

Ayup. I remember that.

I never hide from my mistakes or ****ups. Thats what pussies do.

Nor do I. If we don't learn from our mistakes, we chance making them
again. Talking about them increases acceptance and learning.

Fortunately..that one wasnt quite..quite as spectacular as the tire
episode....
Sigh

giggle

--