Jim Pugh

Default Sharpening

!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"
html
Lynn wrote....."it is up to every individual turner to determine for
brthemselves if the advantages of a more refined edge are important to
them, but it
bris really quite clear that when measured comparisons are made, the
brmore refined edge iwill last longer/i and cut cleaner".
br  The italics are mine.  It seems to me that the answer to
this discussion is "exactly how much longer" versus how much additional
time to hone properly.  If it takes 5 minutes to hone the edge and
it cuts 5 minutes longer (or less) before needing resharpening then it
becomes an exercise that the turner chose, or not, to do.  Perhaps
the ideal would be to keep one gouge/tool honed for those final, delicate
cuts and just use the tool off of the grinder until one gets to that point.
pJim
br
p"Lyn J. Mangiameli" wrote:
blockquote TYPE=CITEWell George, I wrote a fair number of lines detailing
exactly why your
branalogy was incorrect, and tried to do so in a sincere and polite
brmanner. In the end, the turners out there can read both and make their
brown judgment.
pLyn
pGeorge wrote:
br White smoke, and the return.
br
br "Lyn J. Mangiameli" wrote in message
br a .earthlink.net"news:ioxzb.27384$n56.7610@newsread 1.news.pas.earthlink.net/a...
br
brI've seen this analogy before, and while it may seem to offer simple
brwisdom, it really isn't a proper representation of the geometry involved
brwith turning tools.
br
br
br Oh, yeah, you're incorrect.