Posted to alt.home.repair
garlander garlander is offline

Default Dehumidifier where fan is NOT always on - Is there such a thing?

replying to Paul, garlander wrote:
pauldelange7 wrote:

Hi All,
I just purchased a Danby dehumidifier from Costco & have the following
beefs;
- the fan is always on. Customer Service tried to tell me that it's
actually more energy efficient to run the fan constanly - an argument I
find somewhat demeaning.
- even the the humdity is lower then the set-humidity, the compressor
kicks in periodically.
I'd REALLY prefer a dehumidifier that "shuts down" when the desired
humdity level has been reached - can anyone advise if there is such a
product out there?
I just replace all the light bulbs in the house with compact floresent
sp? - I a little miffed that this dehumidifier will now such as much
power out of the grid as I'd though I was saving.
Thanks!

I have the same issue with Danby's not turning off the fan and so am
probably going to return it to Costco since I have not opened the box. I
found one dehumidifier that turns off the fan when the dehumidifier shuts
down. It is Edgestar Model DEP701EW and is available online only as far
as I am aware. I have been using it for about 3 weeks. It has performed
very efficiently and has kept my basement dry. The only issue I have is
my concern about its durability. This model seems to be a replacement for
the discontinued model DEP700EW-1, which also worked well while it lasted
but which lasted only for one season, after which time it stopped working
properly. I took a chance on what I understood to be this redesigned
Model DEP701EW. All I can say right now is that it is performing very
well. I am not using a drain hose and have had to empty the bucket 2 and
3 times a day in this warm, humid, and sometimes rainy weather.