Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metal advice needed

On 2014-07-08, SteveB wrote:
On 7/7/2014 5:14 PM, wrote:

I'd just stick weld it. But then I have a LOT more stick welding
experience tha wire feed experience and I can make a MUCH better job
with a stick welder. A 6010 or 6011 "tack rod" would be a lot better
than the 7018 or 7014 for the application. 6010 requires DC electrode
positive to make a decent weld, so in most situations I'd be stuck
with 6011 on a "buzz box" The application has no need for the extra
strength of a 7000 series rod. And 7018 that hasn't been kept
perfectly dry can be a trial. (like all Lo-Hiy rods)

If you can stick weld that well, wirefeed should take you until lunch on
a bad day to learn.

But should he? Does he need to learn to use wire feed?

The reason why I am asking is that we have both a stick and mig
welder, and I historically used only stick.

Just welded with 7018 for two days straight, making ramps for the
30,000 lbs forklift.

And so I am wondering, will I benefit somehow from using MIG instead
of stick?

As with any weldment, it depends on what you want for the finished
product. Strength? Looks? Both? MIG does have flaws, cold lap and
lack of penetration/fusion being the biggest. Unless you use FCAW, and
then, you get a lot of spatter at times. Whatever you welded with 7018,
I would trust ten times than if you had welded it with MIG, ask the guy
who had his spare tire arrangement pass him on the Interstate.

As with learning to braze small items to make intricate or small things,
it depends on what you are doing, and what you want the final outcome to
be. I have seen some of those sculptures that guys do in gas, and cut
out leaves from sheets of materials, and they are just beautiful. Yeah,
it's welding, but only slightly.

Steve

When learning to MIG weld I was aware of the ability to make good
looking but poor welds, so I learned to weld with it properly. My MIG
welds have the proper penetration and are as strong as other types of
weld using the same materials. It seems to me that learning to MIG
weld properly would be a good idea. Besides, it's fun. It is the only
method with which I can write my name legibly.
Eric