Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metal advice needed

On Tue, 08 Jul 2014 18:22:54 -0500, Ignoramus2738

On 2014-07-08, Karl Townsend wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jul 2014 16:15:39 -0500, Ignoramus2738

On 2014-07-08, SteveB wrote:
then, you get a lot of spatter at times. Whatever you welded with 7018,
I would trust ten times than if you had welded it with MIG, ask the guy
who had his spare tire arrangement pass him on the Interstate.

Yes, that 7018, if it is there, it will hold.

Bit late to the party (thread) here. I will add that i don't use MIG
where high forces are involved. its just too easy to have a nice
lookin' weld with poor penetration using MIG.

I feel exactly the same. If I have a 7018 weld, and it looks half
decent, I am completely assured that it will hold as well as anything.

In a situation where all welds are x-rayed I'll fully trust a wirefeed
weld. In robot welded structures, I'll pretty well trust a wirefeed
weld.
If I know for sure that a welder is an excellent welder, I'll trust a
wirefeed weld if he can show me a test cupon of the same type of weld
with proper penetration.