Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Toenailing thru pressure wood

"Anthony" wrote in message
On Tuesday, July 8, 2014 10:52:14 AM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
If you do not drill the first board it will be difficult for the boards

pull up tight. You have to drill the first board with a large enough
hole

the screw threads do not cut into the wood and you let the head of the
screw

keep the wood from pulling back.

I did pre drill the main hole, but of course it was smaller than the
screw. are you saying I should have made a larger pre drill hole? I would
have no problem in unscrewing it and make a larger drill hole?

You need to drill the hole on the top board large enough that the screw
threads do not touch it. If you do not do it this way, whatever gap you
have in the boards when the screw goes into the lower board will tend to
stay there unless by chance you strip out the threads in the upper board.
The screw should hold by the head and not depend on the threads in the board
where the head of the screw is.

In effect you are only screwing into one of the boards.