Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default Battery life

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message

In my never humble opinion:
1. There's no such thing as NiCd "memory effect", except in very
unique conditions found only in sintered plate batteries (found in
airplane starter batteries).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_effect

I won't dispute the Wikipedia article.

However, I remember when the memory effect (or a memory effect) was
discovered in rechargeable toothbrushes, back in the '60s. Running the
cells all the way down reversed the effect.

The story I first read that was NASA discovered memory effect - apparently
solar charged satellite batteries got charged on a very regular cycle when
the panels could see the sun, and the daily discharge pattern was always the
same - eventually the cells developed only having that much capacity.

Aggessive pulse charging is spectacularly good at curing memory effect in
Ni-Cd cells - my experiments with Ni-Mh were somewhat less impressive.