Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metal advice needed

On Tuesday, July 8, 2014 7:01:30 PM UTC, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
" fired this volley in

But, Don, in keeping with the "haven't you just gone out to the shop to

make a somethin'" philosophy, WHY would you do a crappy job just to "get

by".

If you're already spending more of your labor than the part is worth,

make it nice.

Lloyd

My philosophy is to make a part when it takes less time than trying to find an already made part. I am about ten miles from any industrial supply, so I tend to make things instead of buying. I make things strong enough for the use they will get. If you stick weld the rod to the bar with a gap and then flip it over and run another bead , you are likely to have a slag inclusion. But the part will probably last longer than I will. Would not recommend doing it if there was any stress or it was made from steel that is notch sensitive.

Dan