Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metal advice needed

On Tue, 08 Jul 2014 00:07:21 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 07 Jul 2014 20:57:25 -0700, SteveB wrote:

On 7/7/2014 5:17 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 07 Jul 2014 15:58:33 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

SteveB fired this volley in news:lpf0mm$qdg$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

I love 7014, but to get any kind of a vee in there between the two
parts, I find it difficult to get a good solid weld in a short space. I
end up with slag inclusions, or burnthrough, or just slag. Yes, I will
probably do it with .035" E70-S-6 and 75/25 mixed gas. Gives a nice
appearance, but one must do root preparation, or get a cold lap weld.

Steve, if "pretty" is the goal, braze it.

Easy, fast, and the nicest-looking weldment you'll get between any two
pieces of metal. Plenty strong.

Lloyd
Particularly if you drill the big peice to pretty well slip fit the
round bar in - and sweat braze it. No need for a fillet braze in the
application- particularly if all you are doing is holding the pin in
the hole. You can make a very solid and almost invisible joint.

Would that be a flux coated rod, and getting it hot enough to flow like
a solder joint? That sounds pretty nice. The hardest part would be
getting the hole drilled in the flatbar.

Steve

Simply fire up the TIG welder and use it on uncoated braze rods. You
dont even need to slag off the bubbas.

I braze a fair amount..and havent used a coated rod in at least 2 yrs

Hmm. Interesting. I'll have to get some brazing rod and try that
with my little HF tigger. I hadn't thought to braze with a TIG.

--
The goal to strive for is a poor government but a rich people.

--Andrew Johnson