George

Default Sharpening

"When you hone the edge (under a microscope) looks like a gentle rolling
wave and is much stronger and will
last longer. In my opinion, comments welcome. "

Ok, comments _favoring_ would have been welcome? You should have said so.

One quick try to twist your thinking a bit. Let us say we come off a 120
grit stone - scratches on average 102 microns. Broadside on, we can do no
better than 120. If we take the same length of gouge in contact with the
wood and rotate it 60 degrees from the horizontal, we've got the equivalent
of 240 grit, with the numbers increasing very rapidly as we approach the
vertical. Now, if we assume a gouge, we can actually have the leading
edge - the attacking point - vertical, with the bottom of the gouge trailing
away. At that point all the individual fibers see is the thickness of the
edge, not the projections, and in a macro look, we're running maybe a 1000
grit.

As to strength, the process of honing, unless you are honing to increase the
included angle (microbevel), actually makes the edge thinner by removing the
high points. This makes a nice sharp edge, but one which may be broken by
impact with harder sections or inclusions in the wood, and more likely to
anneal because of reduced heat sink capability.

In my opinion, and I'm willing to say it is my opinion, the critical factor
in removing wood "as it wants to be cut"on the lathe is the cutting angle,
not the grit of the final hone, and for the reasons given. Not to mention
the loss of time when honing. Deburring perhaps, one quick new edge with a
diamond stone even, but certainly nothing near what I do to my carving tools
or even my planes.

"Ken Port" wrote in message
Thanks Lyn J
Its a shame some people take these things as a personal affront.
It can be discouraging to people like myself who are just trying to give
genuine professional advise with the view of dispelling some of the myth
surrounding our trade. This is where your in depth explanation is most
helpful by comparison to my quick simple summary (mainly because I don't
have the talent you do Lyn

--
Cheers
Ken Port