Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tim R[_2_] Tim R[_2_] is offline

Default Battery life

On Monday, July 7, 2014 10:37:42 PM UTC-4, josephkk wrote:

Lead acid batteries are kind of strange. They share a property with

NiCads in that they can be (re)conditioned. This consists of taking them

up to full charge then running them down to about 75% and bringing then

back to full again. Do this 3 or 4 cycles and it will improve capacity

and longevity.

I'm not sure that's correct. I recently saw a reference that basically says the deeper you discharge a lead acid the less life you get. I'll try and find that again.

Nicads like being discharged to near 0 better though.

?-)

They used to develop a memory. I believe that problem has been solved.

I've just found a couple of stories about people seriously injured by flashlight explosions involving C123s. They were exposed to hydrofluouric acid gas and had long term lung damage. I wouldn't have expected enough chemical in those small batteries but i guess I was wrong.