Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.design

Default OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run?

On Mon, 07 Jul 2014 18:53:08 -0400, rickman wrote:

On 7/6/2014 10:13 PM, josephkk wrote:
On Sat, 05 Jul 2014 14:39:02 -0400, rickman wrote:

But the heat produced on the hot coil is mostly ballanced by the cold
on the cold coil. The heat on the hot coil is NOT "produced" like it
is with resistance heating. It is a "heat pump" and produces a lot
more BTUs of heat transfer than the wattage of the power consumption.

There is your fallacy. The heat produced at the hot coil is largely
balanced by the cold at the cold coil (with the exception of the power
drawn from the outlet which is not trivial) but the cold coil does not
cool the air as much as the hot coil heats the are. Most of the heat
entering the cold coil is used to condense the water which does *not*
cool the air. The opposite of evaporative cooling is condensative
heating. Heat has to be extracted from the moisture to condense it
which does not cool the air while that same heat at the hot coil *does*
warm the air.

In some really important ways, you are missing big items. Most of the
cold coils heat transport is from condensation energy, there is no
equivalent heat of evaporation on the hot side so it all goes into
temperature rise (sensible heat). Unless of course it is built very like
conventional AC and the heat is exhausted outside.

Not sure what you mean by "you are missing big items". I think you just
agreed with me 100%. The cold coil does not cool the air as much as the
hot coil warms the air. All of the heat of condensation ends up warming
the air in the room. I guess I didn't explain it clearly.

And I guess I didn't explain clearly enough what those BTUs of latent
heat were doing.