Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Toenailing thru pressure wood

philo wrote:
On 07/07/2014 05:58 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
philo wrote:
On 07/06/2014 02:53 PM, Anthony wrote:
I'm trying to toenail a couple of galvanized 2 screws. I am familiar
with the process of sliding soap on the threads to make it easier to
screw them in. I get thru with the points showing through but having
resistance when penetrating the side pressure wood that I want to
connect them to. The cordless drill just can't take it. I went as far
as making a mark where it would enter if there were no resistance,
with a drill bit. That didn't work... cause now, the top part of the
screw met resistance. Is there a way that I could get this done
without any snags?

Drill a small pilot hole

Hi,
My idea of using drill is to save time. If pilot holes have to be
drilled for every screw to fasten, that defeats the purpose of using
drill. What's the point of owning a tool which is not up to the task at
hand? If it is for one time use, one can rent proper one at a small
expense.

Good point, he must be using a defective drill, I only drill pilot holes
to prevent the wood from cracking, I can certainly shoot a hole through
just about anything.

Hi,
Only time to use pilot hole is when doing finishing carpentry with
exotic expensive wood..... Better be careful with them, LOL!