Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default veritas or wood river planes

On 7/7/2014 7:49 AM, xxxx wrote:
Looking to get a low angle block and smooth planes. Of course Lie-Nielsen
would be a dream but I can't get over the price. So between Veritas and
Woodcrafts Wood River planes what would be the better choice? Quality /
performance would be the main criteria at this point.

I have a low angle block from LN.
I have a low angle jack from LV.
I like both, but I really like the LV planes. They are nicely designed
with the screws to keep the blade centered, and the throat opening.

I also like the multiple blades you can get for the LV LA Jack.
I don't like the shape of the LV blocks...

I avoid the Wood River line. I bought some WR clamps, and they are just
not worth the price. They are ok if they were half the price, but they
twist. They were not cheap, and not up to the jorgs or bessey's (which
they knock off)

--
Jeff