Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default Battery life

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
On Thu, 3 Jul 2014 10:32:48 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

"6. Don't use gel batteries in vibration prone environments. "

Hmm, I thought that was the idea behind gel cells partly.
That the electrolyte is pretty much trapped against the
plates and doesn't shlosh arond. Live nd learn I guess.

Ask any motorcycle shop about which type they prefer. As I understand
it (possibly wrong), the gel type have a wider gap between the plates
because the plate assembly is not very rigid and prone to warping and
bending. AGM is much stiffer, so the plate assembly can be packet
tighter. According one vendor, AGM outsells SLA by 100:1.

AFAIK - most motorcycle shops are making the transition to AGM batteries -
it was still possible to buy a flooded cell battery last time I wanted one.