Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Log Home Restoration

The back story - our home is about 35 years old and in all of that time we
have not done a lot of what you might consider routine maintenance. In the
early years after our house was built, we did apply preservatives, but that
was only within the first 5 years or so. After that - the house pretty much
just aged as log homes age. That all went well for a lot of years. But...
at a point we began to notice some things - a bit of log rot here and there,
failure of stains, and a general aging look of the home. So, we properly
deferred any action on those things, until now. This year we decided it was
time to pull the trigger on addressing these issues and restoring our home
to its proper condition. We have a contractor moving on today (7/7/14) to
undertake the following action items - 1) cob blast the entire structure -
some of which is real log construction and some of which is stick built with
lob slab siding, 2) discover and repair any log or log slab rot - this can
be partial log replacement or complete log replacement, 3) apply
preservatives and stains, 4) re-chink as necessary , 5) re-paint trim around
windows/doors, and facia, 5) anything else that is required upon discovery.

Here's a link to where we start from. This is something of a walk-around of
our house, trying to depict the current state of things.

Wouldn't you know that today - as the contractor is moving on... it's
freakin' raining like hell. Oh well...

Here's the link all the same...

http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/mi...?sort=3&page=1

Will keep this link updated and anyone interested can take a look over the
next several weeks, for progress

--

-Mike-