Posted to rec.woodworking
jo4hn[_2_] jo4hn[_2_] is offline

Default best finish for a candle holder (flame resistant)

On 7/6/2014 2:42 PM, rlz wrote:
I am building a candle holder and am curious what finish to use that is flame resistant. The wood won't be in direct contact with the candle, but I don't want to take any chances.

I had never heard of a wood candle holder catching fire from a lit
candle but I decided to spend a few minutes doing a bit of research.

The flashpoint of wood (hardwood firewood) in the absence of humidity is
something on the order of 350dF (higher depending upon whose paper you
read). Remember Fahrenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury)? That's the flashpoint
of paper (depending upon whose...). Paraffin wax burns at 390dF so I
suppose it's possible if improbable, that the holder could catch fire if
burning wax was dripped onto it.

mahalo,
jo4hn