Posted to alt.home.repair
leza wang leza wang is offline

Default closed window - home is hot

On Thursday, July 3, 2014 12:16:34 PM UTC-4, TomR wrote:
In ,

leza wang typed:

Hi all

I have one big window (140 cm height, 210 cm width) in the first

floor of 1.5 story home. This window can not be opened or closed (has

no doors). These days are so hot to be inside the house because the

air can not be circulated enough in the house because the main window

is always closed (see pictures below of the windows from inside and

out - sorry the inside picture is dark a bit). This window has wood

frame from the inside

http://i59.tinypic.com/2gshpv5.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/30a72ba.jpg

So I decided to replace it with a new window which has doors to open

it and get breeze inside. I like the new window to be simple and has

3 panels, two can be opened. Any idea please what kind of window you

recommend (material, brand name, design etc) I am open to any

suggestion. Thanks a lot once again.

You posted before about doing new front siding and I see that you were able

to do that. It looks good and really changes the look of the house. The

front door trim repair looks good too.

Based on the window styles that someone else here posted, what you have now

is called a picture window. I converted your metric measurements to feet

since that is easier for me to visualize, and it comes out to about 6.9 feet

wide by 4.6 feet high. That is a large window space to fill.

Maybe what you want is called a "3 section slider window". I just did a

Google search for "3 section slider windows" and then I clicked on Google

images. That shows lots of images of 3 section slider windows that you can

check out to see if that's what you want. Personally, I would prefer a

slider window over one that opens out.

If you do go with a 3 section slider window, I think that maybe a

"replacement" window instead of a "frame out" window may be easiest and

best -- but I don't know for sure. It is possible that a "new construction"

window which comes with a flange around the outside would be better and it

would get attached on the outside and then the flange would be covered with

trim. An experienced window installer in your area could look at what you

have and tell you for sure what you need and what would be best. And,

others here may know more about that than I do.

You would have to do the measurements correctly and have a window place make

the new window to the exact size for you. In my area (East Coast of U.S. --

New Jersey), the very rough labor cost estimate for a window person to

install that type of window and put some trim around on the outside would be

about $150 (U.S.). Add to that the cost of the window itself and the cost

of the trim. If you have a place nearby that makes vinyl replacement

windows, you could get a price from them for the cost of a custom size

window and you could ask them to suggest a few local window installers who

can give you an exact price for the job. But, whoever you have installing

the new window should also be the person who does the measurements. You

never want to give a window installer YOUR measurements for the window and

then have them buy the window based on your measurements. If you do, and

something doesn't fit, they will say it's your fault for giving them the

wrong measurements.

About your attic, attic insulation, venting, etc....., I remember that you

were thinking of getting a new roof last year and the photo that you posted

looks like it may be a new roof with architectural shingles. And, I think

that the new dark rain gutters and downspouts look good. When you were going

to get the new roof, I think they said they were going to put in a ridge

vent. If they did, your attic is already vented. And, yes, your attic is

very small -- very narrow with maybe only about a 4 or 5 foot wide flat

ceiling on the upper floor rooms and the rest of the upper room ceiling

space is sloped along the roof line. Whether you are, or were, able to

figure out adding insulation is uncertain and you would probably need to

have someone local take a quick look at what you have now and decide from

there about the insulation.

Let us know what you end up doing with the front window and how it turns

out.

Thanks Tom for your reply and advices. I appreciate that very much.
Yes the front panel has been changed, it looks like the siding now. boring but working.. and yes I changed the roof, the roofer said my plywood were not good and that is why he put a new plywood first and then the new single.. so no more leaking roof..

Thanks for your window advices, I will consider them all when I decide who is going to change it and what type I will go with. Thanks a lot once again