Ken Port

Default Sharpening

I have found that the US made diamond fine Eze lap LF model very affordable
for honing.
Re- honing: The ground edge under a microscope is like lots of sharp icicles
or fine points. Innitially this seems sharp but very quickly the points
break off and the edge loses its keeness. When you hone the edge (under a
microscope) looks like a gentle rolling wave and is much stronger and will
last longer. In my opinion, comments welcome.

This is why it is important to have a hollow ground bevel on your tools, to
enable the hone to touch only the heel and the extreeme cutting edge of the
tool when applied. Re grinding must take place from time to time.
If you sharpen on a belt or side of the grinder then honing is not as
effective because the flat surface when honed produces a convex bevel which
I nick-named a rock & roll bevel.
Then the cutting edge of the tool is hard to define when applied to the
wood. This is particularly noticable when using a skew but the same applies
to a gouge when looking for a high level of finnish off the tool. "SANDING
SUCKS THE LUNGS"

Hope this is of help
Also the tool lasts longer honed

--