Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run?

On Sunday, July 6, 2014 4:34:04 AM UTC-4, rickman wrote:
On 7/5/2014 10:25 PM, wrote:

On Sat, 05 Jul 2014 14:39:02 -0400, rickman wrote:

There is your fallacy. The heat produced at the hot coil is largely

balanced by the cold at the cold coil (with the exception of the power

drawn from the outlet which is not trivial) but the cold coil does not

cool the air as much as the hot coil heats the are. Most of the heat

entering the cold coil is used to condense the water which does *not*

cool the air. The opposite of evaporative cooling is condensative

heating. Heat has to be extracted from the moisture to condense it

which does not cool the air while that same heat at the hot coil *does*

warm the air.

exactly what I said

Goodbye

That is *not* what you said. You said...

As for the de-humidifier producing heat - it only produced a fraction

of it's total power consumption as heat output. The heat coming off

the back of the unit is just heat removed from the air (and moisture)

entering the front of the unit.

Actually I'm not sure what this is saying, but it when you used the word

"fraction" it seems to imply that there is little heat produced in the

room. The opposite is true. Drawing say 200 watts from the outlet will

warm the room by several times that amount.

Ridiculous. To do so would require energy to be mysteriously created,
which of course it's not. Assume the room is perfectly insulated. If
200W is all that's going into the room, then that is all the heat that
is being created. Physics says so.

The difference is the

latent heat of evaporation from the moisture when liquified being

returned to the room at the hot coil. So a dehumidifier is much like

running the AC and a heater to remove the moisture. You heat the room

by more than the power drawn from the outlet which in turn makes the AC

run longer to remove that heat.

It's not much like running the heater and the AC at the same time at all.
As has been explained to you about 5 times now, when you run the AC,
you're pumping heat from inside the house to the OUTSIDE. Then, to replace
that heat and keep the temperature of the house from dropping, you're
proposing to run the HEAT. Whether that heat is gas, oil, electric, etc,
it's being used to REPLACE heat that you just pumped outside. It's
very inefficient compared to running a dehumidifier. With a dehumidifier,
you're not pumping heat outside the house.

When my house is not dry enough I turn the thermostat down another

degree or two. The AC runs a little longer removing more moisture and a

happy comfort level is achieved with a balance between being dry and

being cool. I'm looking for comfort, not a fixed temperature. Once the

air is wrung out I can turn the thermostat up again if I want. Much

easier than dealing with extra equipment and likely more cost effective

to boot. An AC is a great dehumidifier.

If by turning the thermostat back up again, you mean just raising the
set point for cooling, so that the AC goes off, then I agree it's what
normal people would do,
it's cost effective, and fast. It's what I said many posts ago I'd do
if my house was 78 and too humid. However that is very different from
what you claimed, which was that turning on the AC AND THE HEAT is
exactly the same as running a dehumidifier. It's not, because, one more
time, by doing that, you're pumping heat out of the house, then using
the heat system to replace it. A very inefficient process compared to
a dehumidifier.